Monday, January 17, 2011

Interview with Rose Lowder




This interview with Scott MacDonald was originally published in his book, A Critical Cinema 3 in 1998. It was republished in Millennium Film Journal.

I have shot many reels of film, and I build on my past experience, but each reel covers new ground. To me, a project isn't interesting if I know exactly what's going to happen. I could film a flower pot, but that would be cinematographically totally boring. I want the subject that I'm filming to be living its own life. One of the solutions of conventional cinema is to choose dead things and move them around. Even the actors: traditional narrative requires the actors to do exactly what they are directed to do. I don't want a docile subject. When everything is under control, it's dead. My filming processes are set up as a dialogue with reality.

- Rose Lowder, Interview with Scott MacDonald


No comments:

Post a Comment